Our Mission, Vision, and Values
Provide free, personalized education to empower adults to thrive in our community.
Seeds of Literacy will deliver quality education that inspires a desire for a lifetime of learning. Seeds will provide an up-to-date, well-resourced program that meets the needs of our students. In partnership with other organizations, Seeds will be influential in breaking the cycle of poverty by strengthening our community through the transformed lives of our students.
- Respect: We believe in the dignity of all and value the worth and potential of each person we serve.
- Inclusiveness: We appreciate and understand the rich culture and heritage of all we serve.
- Excellence: We deliver outstanding programs in the field of literacy, and we strive to implement the best practices.
- Compassion: We guide students with patience and understanding while providing an environment that encourages learning and creativity.
- Integrity: We hold ourselves to the highest personal and professional standards and are guided by honesty, candor, and fairness in all our relationships.
What We Do - By the Numbers
What We Do
- GED® / TASC / HiSET preparation and basic education for adults, completely free of charge
- One-to-one tutoring that provides personalized attention and support for maximized learning
- A unique curriculum designed to meet the specific needs of each individual student
- A flexible class schedule
- Year-round, open enrollment
- New in 2020 – our unique program now offered online! Two ways to learn: Physical Classroom & Virtual Classroom
By the Numbers
- 75% GED test section pass rate for students
- 1,100+ adults served last year
- 275+ active volunteers
Awards & Recognitions
Awards & Recognitions
Only adult literacy program in Ohio nationally accredited by ProLiteracy
- 2021 Most Treasured Volunteer award from The Center for Community Solutions – tutor Ed Round
- 2021 OAACE Instructor of the Year Award – Chris Richards
- 2021 OAACE Administrator of the Year Award – Dr. Carmine Stewart
- 2021 Library of Congress Best Practices Award
- 2021 ProLiteracy – Ruth J. Colvin & Frank Laubach Award for Adult Learner Excellence – Desire Barb, graduate
- 2021 ProLiteracy – Award for Program Innovation and Collaboration – Case Western Reserve University students & Seeds
- 2020 Most Treasured Volunteer award from The Center for Community Solutions – tutor Julie Rea
- 2020 COABE National Award – “Local Excellence in Advocacy”
- 2019 Crains Women in Education – Bonnie Entler
- 2018 ProLiteracy Hero Award-Winner
- 2018 Leadership Cleveland Class – Bonnie Entler, Seeds’ Executive Director
- 2016 Philanthropy Tank Winner, Runner-up – African-American Philanthropy Summit
- 2016 National Adult Learner of the Year – Commission on Adult Basic Education
- 2016 Administrator of the Year, Runner-up – Coalition on Adult Basic Education
- 2015 Community Impact Award – Dominion East Ohio
- 2015 State Administrator of the Year – Ohio Association of Adult and Continuing Education
- 2014 “Who to Watch in Education” – Crain’s Cleveland Business (11/3/14)
- 2014 Court Community Service Award for Nonprofit Excellence
- 2013 Anisfield-Wolf Memorial Award for Outstanding Nonprofit Service
- 2013 Nonprofit Best Practice – Governor Kasich’s Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives
- 2013 National Dollar General Literacy Foundation Student of the Year
- 2007 National Dollar General Literacy Foundation Tutor of the Year
- International Literacy Association
- Coalition on Adult Basic Education
- Ohio Association for Adult and Continuing Education
- The Literacy Cooperative of Greater Cleveland
- Voice of Adult Learners United to Educate (VALUEUSA)
- National Association for Adults with Special Learning Needs
- Ohio Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- Business Volunteers Unlimited
Community Partners - The Company We Keep
- Breakthrough Schools
- Buckeye Health Plan
- Catholic Charities
- The Centers – El Barrio
- CEO Works
- CHN Housing Partners
- City of Cleveland Public Health : Healthy Cleveland Initiative
- Cleveland Clinic Workforce
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District – Family and Community Engagement
- Cleveland Municipal Court – Get on Track Program
- Cleveland Public Library
- Cleveland Rape Crisis Center
- Cuyahoga Community College – Educational Opportunity Center
- Cuyahoga County BDD – Employment Collaborative
- Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority – Program Coordinating Committee
- EDWINS Leadership Institute
- Esperanza, Inc.
- Greater Cleveland Food Bank
- Goodwill Industries of Greater Cleveland & East Central Ohio, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hough Reads
- Kingdom Korner at Bethany Baptist Church
- Legal Aid of Cleveland
- Literacy in the H.O.O.D.
- May Dugan Center
- Minority Health Alliance
- Murtis Taylor Human Services Center
- MyCom Cleveland
- Neighborhood Connections
- NEON Health Centers
- Peacemakers Alliance
- Playa T Show | Hollywood in Da Hood
- Reach Out and Read Plus
- Salvation Army
- Scranton Road Ministries
- Thea Bowman Center
- Towards Employment
- U.S. Center for Refugees & Immigrants
- University Settlement
If you would like more information about our Community Partnerships, or learn how to get your organization involved, give us a call.
Seeds is able to offer 100% free services thanks to generous support from private donations from individuals, foundations, and grants.
Read our Annual Reports.